Our Museum is housed in what was an old
schoolhouse. Built in 1853, this two-storey building
accommodated a schoolroom on the first floor and a
chapel upstairs. When the chapel moved to a
building of its own, the older classes were moved
upstairs, thus making a two-room schoolhouse.
The bulk of our exhibits is located on the second
floor, which is handicapped accessible, with a stair-
chair lift and a wheelchair and walker available at
the second floor landing. We have a Farm section, a
Home and Family Life section, a transportation area,
a section on Churches and Civic Organizations and a
Grange corner. As we receive more items, exhibits
change, so we are constantly improving. The center
of our exhibit floor is taken up with flat exhibits hung
on dividers and display cases filled with small items
We now have music playing softly in our Museum!!!
Thanks to the combined efforts of Kents Hill teacher
Steve Stortz and Readfield resident Bill Starrett, old
records from the 1920's and teens (from the personal
collection of the President) were transferred to a tiny
MP3 player, which was then installed, along with a
pair of computer speakers, into an old radio body. It
adds a nice touch to our Home and Family area.
Our first floor houses our research area and files. In
addition, we have restored the center of the room
back to an old schoolroom where our "Day In A Rural
Schoolhouse" happens each spring.
We are open from May 30 to mid-September
on Thursdays and Saturdays from 10:00 in the
morning to 2:00 in the afternoon. If we do not have a
volunteer to staff the building on one of those days,
we remain closed. However, the President will open
for visitors on any day. One needs only call her at
207-685-4662, or the Treasurer at 207-685-3366.
Due to the possibility of the building being closed, it
behooves a person travelling from afar to call first.